I only run because I’m being chased by zombies

ZombiesRun5kTrainingIt’s been a month since I did my last update on my ‘Year of Yoda’ and in it, I mentioned that I was going to start a ‘couch to 5 k’ running program. I’ve always joked that the only reason you’d ever see me running was because I was being chased, so I bought the Zombies, Run! 5k Training app for $2.59 CDN to get me started. I also had to download a free music app because it’s the only one that works with the Zombies, Run! program so that I could listen to my own music in between the story.

If you follow me on Instagram or follow me on Facebook, then you’ve seen me posting about my training. I’ve just started week 4 and I cannot believe how much I’m enjoying it! Sure, those couple of weeks when I needed 3 layers (including long johns), gloves and a hat weren’t ideal for starting out but I kept with it. Spring seems to have finally arrived in Ottawa and it’s doing me a world of good to be making time to be active outside. I think that the reason I didn’t enjoy running before was because I was doing it on a treadmill. It’s only been in the last year or two that I’ve remembered how much I like being active outdoors! Between this, biking and kayaking, it’s shaping up to be a great spring and summer. Now to make sure I’m outpacing the zombies!

I’d love to hear your tips for running as the temperature climbs, and what you use to hold your keys/phone. I think I need to invest in a running belt or something because most of my exercise clothes don’t have pockets!

11 Comments on I only run because I’m being chased by zombies

1. Lynda Cook
    April 20, 2016 at 10:27 PM (1 year ago)

Sounds like a great app. to keep you motivated, and congrats on your going forward, I need to get out and do something!!

2. Janet W.
    April 21, 2016 at 7:13 PM (1 year ago)

A friend of mine was telling me about this app! What great motivation and how fun!

3. caryn s
    April 21, 2016 at 7:32 PM (1 year ago)

I gotta download this app as it sounds like great motivation to help you run!

4. Wanda
    April 22, 2016 at 7:03 PM (1 year ago)

Way to go! I have a small running specific hydration backpack that I started using last year after years of using running belts. Love it! Constant easy water and if you put an ice pack in it, extra cooling in the middle of your back.

5. Jennifer M
    April 26, 2016 at 7:50 PM (1 year ago)

Haha, I had thought about using the zombies app too – how did you like it?

April 26, 2016 at 10:28 PM (1 year ago)

I love it! I’ve just started week 5 and I’ve definitely improved from where I started (which was a non-runner, so going a total distance of 6km split between walking and running each time I go out seems pretty darn good to me), plus the story is really interesting now. Once I get to the end of this training, I’m going to switch to their (free) regular running app :)

6. NicoleEmma
    April 27, 2016 at 9:44 PM (1 year ago)

I don’t think any app could get me to run lol

7. Julie
    April 28, 2016 at 9:19 AM (1 year ago)

Interesting idea for an app. Definitely worth checking into. I prefer running on the treadmill but eventually I hope to do it outdoors more.

8. loucheryl
    May 2, 2016 at 9:53 PM (1 year ago)

I’m so glad you are enjoying running! I hate running on the treadmill too. LOVE running outside and could run every day if time allowed for it.

For holding keys, some pants and shirts have little zipper pockets just big enough to hold your keys. For your phone, there are armbands that you can slip your phone into and wear on your arm when you run. :)

9. CL Chin
    May 4, 2016 at 11:53 AM (1 year ago)

I don’t run but I wish you luck in your training. I always say I might start but haven’t gotten around to it.