Our New Normal

2015FirstDaySchoolWalk

Did you think I’d disappeared? As I mentioned on the Not Just Baby Brain Facebook page, we’re still getting settled into our new routine now that school has started. Both of my daughters are in school full-time, and I expected to be bored and lonely while they were there. After all, I have roughly 5 hours between when I get home from walking them to school and when I leave to walk back and pick them up. That’s a lot of time, right? Well, it turns out it’s not as much as I had anticipated. I feel busier now than I ever did when it was just Ashlyn at school and I had Rowan at home with me all day!

A big part of that is the completely self-imposed expectations that I should be able to get all of the errands, housework, blogging and college schoolwork done while the girls are gone. I am taking two online courses and one night class right now, and I may be able to take a French class as well, depending on how my assessment goes. I will also be volunteering at my daughters’ school library again, which will help me complete a placement for my college program and is a nice way for me to ensure that this is the right career path. I may be volunteering in Rowan’s junior kindergarten class and for Ashlyn’s Sparks group but those are both up in the air right now.

It will all settle down soon but for now, there still aren’t enough hours in the day! This week is a bit of a write-off already but I promise that there will be a great (winter-related) giveaway up early next week. Let me know how you are doing in this crazy back-to-school transition phase by leaving me a comment below!

15 Comments on Our New Normal

1. Emily Marie
    September 20, 2015 at 7:35 PM (2 years ago)

It is amazing how we start the day and there seems to be so much time, but by the end of the day we never feel like we have done enough. You seem to have a lot on the go though! Kudos on the college courses and volunteering!
    Emily Marie recently posted..DIY Body Scrubs – #CraftChallenge

2. Amy Heffernan
    September 23, 2015 at 4:07 PM (2 years ago)

I hear ya! Life changes all the time. But the best we can do it manage! :)

3. Brandee H
    September 23, 2015 at 6:41 PM (2 years ago)

My son starts JK October 1st, so we are still enjoying Summer :-) I try to pick three must haves each day. If I accomplish those, then everything else is a bonus. :-)

4. Janet W.
    September 23, 2015 at 7:32 PM (2 years ago)

My day goes by so quickly when my grandsons are at school. It’s my time to do housework and run errands.

5. Erika E
    September 23, 2015 at 8:07 PM (2 years ago)

Our back to school transition was pretty smooth. My son was looking forward to going to class and seeing his friends so that made it easier.

6. loucheryl
    September 23, 2015 at 9:47 PM (2 years ago)

My day goes by SUPER fast now the my son is BTS in grade one. I have my 2 year old son home with me still and I can’t believe where the time goes.

7. caryn s
    September 23, 2015 at 9:53 PM (2 years ago)

Both my kids are in school too this year and i find my hours are flying by as i am able to get so much accomplished while they are in school!

8. Jennifer I
    September 26, 2015 at 11:54 AM (2 years ago)

There really is just never enough time in the day! I have resorted to saying no to a lot of things just so I can get done what needs to be done!

9. Sean Bateman
    September 27, 2015 at 9:59 PM (2 years ago)

Enjoy the changes by celebrating the milestone.

10. Amy Lovell
    September 29, 2015 at 7:34 AM (2 years ago)

Its amazing how fast they really do grow up!@ Enjoy every day with them!

11. Julie
    October 1, 2015 at 9:28 AM (2 years ago)

You’re right, there never seems to be enough hours in the day but onward we go. Super busy but lovin’ it!

12. Cheryl
    October 2, 2015 at 2:10 PM (2 years ago)

I love the extra “free” time i have while our 2 oldest are in school. Amazing what one can get done. :)

13. Tara Gauthier
    October 7, 2015 at 3:23 AM (2 years ago)

My kids are both in school (grade 8 and grade 2) so we have been doing this for a bit now. My husband joined the crowd and just started back after having stayed at home with the kids for last 11 years.

14. Laurie P
    October 7, 2015 at 10:31 AM (2 years ago)

My boy just started his last year of High school…..and next sept my girl starts JK. Just when one routine is coming to an end, I gotta start all over lol

15. Richard Hicks
    October 7, 2015 at 10:39 PM (2 years ago)

They are so cute with the backpacks!