“I don’t even know who I am anymore!” It’s a statement that I’ve been jokingly saying a lot lately and it really has me thinking. While I still certainly recognize the ‘old’ me, there are a lot of things that have changed about myself now, some that I wanted to happen and many that I never would have anticipated!
- When I was in seventh grade, I read “The Hobbit” and hated it. I had to read it again in grade nine and I still hated it. Read it for the third time in university for a children’s literature course and was fairly neutral about it. Now, many of my favourite books have a fantasy element.
- I remember saying in university that I wanted to like tea and wine, but I didn’t. Not a problem any more!
- My parents used to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation or Deep Space Nine and I was never a fan. Now I’m the one asking if we have the new Star Trek movies on DVD to watch on a random Saturday night!
- I spend equal amounts of time discussing Star Wars and basically any other topic of conversation.
- I have no tolerance for horror movies any more. I used to watch them all the time as a teenager but I just don’t have the stomach for them now.
- That being said, I love supernatural themes, like zombies, vampires and witches.
- I never would have picked up a graphic novel as a teenager. Now I have a list that I want to read!
- I still wish that I enjoyed running, but I’ve never managed to get past the awful ‘learning how to run’ phase. Maybe I’ll give it a shot in the fall! This summer will be a lot of biking, which I do enjoy.
I’m sure there are many more, but these are some of the things that have stuck out at me lately. What about you?