My word for 2015 is ‘thoughtful’

I know I’ve said it before but I’m just not a New Year’s resolutions kind of girl. Now that we’re nearing the end of January, how many of you are still even thinking of your resolutions? I am on a few online forums and on one of them, a poster mentioned an idea from Christine Kane that really resonated with me:

“Pick a word for the year.
Just one word. That’s all.
Then, hold that word in your mind throughout the year, and let your word guide you to take action.”

Thoughtful

I’ve decided on “thoughtful” for my word: I want to be more thoughtful in how I speak to my daughters, as my husband and I are very sarcastic and snarky at times and I want to make sure that our daughters understand that your tone of voice can be very hurtful if you aren’t careful and if others don’t know that you’re joking – and that sometimes, joking can be hurtful too.

I want to be more thoughtful in how I spend my time. I am trying to find a better balance so that I’m not spending so much time in front of a computer screen (which I find challenging as I need it for blogging and homework, but the Facebook and Twitter time has to decrease), and much more time spent engaging with my girls and husband, or creating something through crocheting or scrapbooking, or reading.

I want to be more thoughtful about the food I eat and how I take care of myself physically and mentally. I can tell that the holidays were not kind to my waistline and I’m struggling with finding the ‘right’ time of day to fit in exercise. I have a feeling that there is no ‘right’ time and I’m just going to have to suck it up a bit and make it fit, and I definitely need to stop the snacking at night!

How about you? Are you still keeping your 2015 resolutions? Do you like the idea of picking a word to guide your year?

13 Comments on My word for 2015 is ‘thoughtful’

1. Lian
    January 29, 2015 at 11:38 AM (3 years ago)

I like the idea of having a word to act sort of like a mantra to help guide you throughout the year. If I had one for this year, it would be “try.” Try to push a little bit more when working out, try something new, try doing something in a new way, try not to complain so much. Thanks for sharing this idea!
    Lian recently posted..Winter Fun Has Begun with MittGrips!

2. Tiffany Rotulo
    February 4, 2015 at 9:09 AM (3 years ago)

That’s a great word. One I think everyone should use this year. A little thoughtfulness goes along way.

3. kristen visser
    February 4, 2015 at 10:26 AM (3 years ago)

I actually have never thought about picking a word to guide your year but I absolutely love that idea and love the word you have chosen. Mine is active. to be more active especially with my daughters, to work out and over all live a healthier lifestyle. so far i have lost 10 lbs :)

4. caryn s
    February 4, 2015 at 1:47 PM (3 years ago)

My one word is happy for the year. I want to live my life better and take care of myself more this year, so that i can take care of my family better!

5. Lynda Cook
    February 4, 2015 at 4:51 PM (3 years ago)

That is a great word that you have chosen, mine would be “healthy”

6. Anne Taylor
    February 4, 2015 at 7:24 PM (3 years ago)

Thoughtful is a great word for a year! I think my word would be Considerate!

7. Judy Cowan
    February 5, 2015 at 9:46 AM (3 years ago)

I do like picking a word for the year. I have picked “enjoy”. I want to enjoy the small things, enjoy the special people in my life and have more fun this year.

8. Amy Lovell
    February 7, 2015 at 8:47 AM (3 years ago)

This is a great idea. Usually by the third month into the new year my resolutions are forgotten. Having a word for motivation is awesome

9. Florence C
    February 7, 2015 at 6:00 PM (3 years ago)

Thoughtful is a great word. I pick Smile. I like it when people smile at me. I like to do this more often.

10. Stephanie LaPlante
    February 7, 2015 at 8:34 PM (3 years ago)

I love the idea of picking a word. My resolutions are still in motion but I’m not as enthusiastic as I was in January.

11. Kam
    February 8, 2015 at 3:18 PM (3 years ago)

A really cool idea! I am definitely going to do something like this!

12. Cherie Varrin
    February 8, 2015 at 9:14 PM (3 years ago)

Neat idea! I may have to give this a try. I havent heard of anyone doing this till now.

13. Lori Lewis
    February 17, 2015 at 8:30 PM (3 years ago)

I like this idea & think that the word thoughtful is a great word to choose. If I were to choose a word I would choose “kindness” I think if everybody tried to be a bit kinder to everybody they encountered, the world would be a much better place!