Minivan mom no more?

005-21I hope all of my wonderful readers had a lovely Easter weekend! We spent a lot of time in our minivan, driving around southern Ontario to visit with our families. The weather was fantastic, traffic was light, and it’s always worth the effort to get to spend some quality time with the ones we love. One surprising turn of events was a conversation that my husband brought up on one of our drives – maybe it’s time to switch from a minivan to an SUV? As anyone who knows us in real life can attest, we’re very pro-minivan. Having all of that extra space has been a lifesaver with two young girls and all of the stuff that you need to haul around when visiting: playpen, stroller, a million changes of clothes, diapers, special food and plates and bowls and cups..the list just goes on and on.

But, now that we’re out of the baby phase and we have two kids, who don’t need the big bulky equipment and special items, it would be nice to have something a little smaller, and something with a bench seat in the back so that they can share their bag of toys instead of needing me to reach everything for them. We still need the space to pack a good amount of things so I think and SUV will make the most sense as our primary family vehicle. We’re still very much in the discussion phase, so I’m turning to you:

What SUV do you have, and what made you choose it? Tell me what you love and what you don’t!

7 Comments on Minivan mom no more?

1. Danica
    April 22, 2014 at 10:16 AM (3 years ago)

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and I love it! When I was looking for a new vehicle after my station wagon died, I definitely still wanted the cargo room but didn’t want to go the minivan route. The main criteria for me was that the trunk had to be long enough to so I could put the big travel system stroller oriented front to back (not parallel to the back bench seat). The model I have has extra storage under the floor of the trunk, but some models have the fold up seat so you can have a third row if needed. I definitely recommend :)
    Danica recently posted..Footerfly

April 22, 2014 at 12:47 PM (3 years ago)

Interesting about the third row seating, I didn’t realize that was an option! Could be handy when we’re visiting with my parents.

2. Marianne
    April 22, 2014 at 12:45 PM (3 years ago)

We’ve got 3 kids… so I’m no help. I do however do fine in a car with the 3 most of the time (an infant seat, forward facing seat and a booster). We really only need the van when we bring the 86lb dog with us too.
    Marianne recently posted..GreatCanadianRebates.ca

3. Angela
    April 22, 2014 at 7:55 PM (3 years ago)

We have a Nissan Pathfinder and love it. It has a third row of seating (which we have never used in a year and a half of ownership–but it is a nice option to have). The trunk space is enormous with the third row folded down. It drives like a truck though (disadvantage in my books). We’ve also had a Nissan Murano, which was really great and was super comfy.

4. Katrina
    April 23, 2014 at 6:36 AM (3 years ago)

We have an SUV-Durango limited, awesome for the winter, 7 passenger as well. But I think it’s too big now with our 2 out of the baby stage as well. I’m looking at getting a Subaru Outback-AWD, great safety rating, great on gas, hatchback, lots of trunk space and a large backseat. I just love the look also. A small SUV would work too.

5. Stacey
    April 23, 2014 at 8:29 AM (3 years ago)

Lots of great suggestions! It’s so hard to narrow things down, I think we’ll have to do some window shopping soon :)