My husband, in the 9 years that we have been together, has only ever asked for 2 kinds of birthday cake: black forest and carrot. I was on the hunt for the perfect carrot cake recipe and my good friend Joleen gave it to me. It’s now my go-to cake for the girls’ birthdays as well. It’s always delicious and I’ve never had a complaint about it…or any plates returned that weren’t licked clean. Of course, I’ll include the cream cheese icing recipe as well!
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups peeled and grated carrots (about 6 average-sized carrots)
- 1 medium can crushed pineapple (I think it’s about 20 oz), well drained
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beat eggs, add oil and sugar and mix well.
- In another large bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Add the egg mixture, carrots, pineapple and vanilla and mix well.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Cream together butter and cream cheese until very smooth.
- Add vanilla and icing sugar and mix well.
This icing takes colour very well and can be made the day before you want to ice your cake and kept in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before you start icing!