It’s been cold and rainy and very “fall” like around here and I wanted to make some comfort food for dinner the other night. This recipe comes from the mom of a childhood friend of mine; I actually had to call my mom to get it because I’d lost my copy and nothing that I could find online sounded right. The secret ingredient? Chow mein noodles!
TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 can milk
- 1 can tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- chow mein noodles (the kind that are meant to be eaten as is, not the kind meant to be soaked)
- grated cheese
- In a casserole dish, mix the soup, milk, tuna, celery and onion.
- Add about a cup of chow mein noodles to the dish and stir so they are covered. You may want to add more noodles if the casserole still looks runny (there should be some liquid left but lots of noodles in there).
- Add more chow mein noodles to the top and cover with grated cheese (the cheese can be omitted but we love cheese so we use a lot).
- Bake at 350F for approx 30 minutes. Let sit for about 5 minutes then serve.