Some days just need to end in chocolate…with or without an accompanying glass of wine. It’s been a long day here – the baby decided that 5:30am was a perfectly good time to wake up and that naps were overrated today, the toddler has a fever and is cranky but also wants to play outside all day, my husband is out of town – and while I would love nothing more than some Bobbly Flay brownies I just might fall asleep before the first step is done.
Enter the 5 minute chocolate cake. I got the recipe from my friend Beth at Keep the Shiny Side Up a couple of years ago now but I had never tried it until tonight. I have to say, for something that took less time to completely bake than running to the grocery store would have taken me – have you ever tried to “pop in for something quickly” with 2 little ones? – it was pretty darn tasty. I might add a shot of Bailey’s next time around, if it’s at the end of another rough day.
5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
- a small splash of vanilla extract
- 1 large coffee mug (mine is massive, so don’t be fooled; this makes a very generous portion of cake)
- Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.
- Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
- Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don’t be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
- EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).