Canada Day aftermath

Tonight my 2 year old asked to go to the park.  It was a little later than we usually head out, but she’d had a good nap this afternoon and it was still light out, so at 8pm we walked down the street to our neighbourhood park.

The park that the many children in our neighbourhood use.

The park that was probably full of kids all day because the weather was so beautiful today.

The park that was full of garbage from exploded fireworks that *someone* set off in celebration of Canada Day yesterday, but couldn’t be bothered to clean up once the fun was over.  All of those red circles in the first two pictures show where there was debris in the sand – that’s not all of it, just what I could easily identify.

This a public park in an area full of children; I’m betting it was someone who lives in the neighbourhood who decided to use it as their own personal fireworks launching area.  Yet almost 24 hours after the fireworks went off – plenty of time to have come back and cleaned up – there was so much garbage that we almost turned around and went home.

Instead, I walked home and returned with gloves, a large garbage bag and my camera.  While my older daughter watched, my husband and I put on the gloves and starting picking up as much as we could.  Poor Ashlyn just wanted to help but I didn’t want her to touch any of the firework debris, and she kept saying “Ashlyn no gloves, no touch” very sadly as we worked.  She couldn’t even play in the sand like she normally does because there wasn’t a section that didn’t have fragments of the detonated fireworks in it.

I am disgusted that someone would leave a park in this state.  I am saddened that children were clearly playing amongst all of this trash all day long.  I am bewildered that other parents MUST have seen the state the park was in today and chose to let their young children play there as it was, instead of helping to pick up the mess.

To whomever left this mess, I hope you had a great Canada Day.  I’m sure it was a lot of fun – we had a great time at all of the local events ourselves.  Next time, clean up your own mess; I have 2 kids, I clean enough as it is.  Because the next time that I hear fireworks, I’m heading to the park with a camera – not to take pictures of the display you’re putting on, but to get your faces on record.  If things look like this the next day, I’ll be taking those pictures to the proper authorities.  My 2 year old knows she needs to clean up after herself when she makes a mess so grown adults have absolutely no excuse for this ignorant behaviour.

7 Comments on Canada Day aftermath

1. Jena
    July 3, 2011 at 3:53 AM (6 years ago)

Good for you for cleaning it up! My husbannd and/or I would’ve done the same (and have in similar situations). I’d consider reporting it to the authorities anyway; maybe they’ll keep a closer eye on the park, and maybe the city will go through the sand–or replace it.

2. silverneon2000
    July 3, 2011 at 7:47 AM (6 years ago)

Wow! You would think that if they were bringing all these fireworks with them to the park that they would have brought a bag to put the garbage in. It was very nice of you to clean it up, because you care about the safety and cleanliness of what your children and other children would or could come across.

3. GIles
    July 3, 2011 at 9:05 AM (6 years ago)

I live across from that park, I witnessed the people clean up after the Canada Day festivities. The families who let off the fireworks at a reasonable hour cleaned up. the teens that continued into the wee hours of the morning, I guess did not.
    I also saw ” children” throw the contents of the garbage can around the park. I clean the park on a regular basis, beer bottles, dog waste thrown and smeared all over the climber, discarded clothing etc….I call the city for repairs broken equip. Etc…. Not all People respect public property…. I guess I was tired yesterday and busy cleaning our yard after our Canada celebrations….The sad thing is every time you come to the park chances are one of the neighbors has cleaned before you got there…….

July 3, 2011 at 9:26 AM (6 years ago)

It’s great neighbours like you that make the park so much fun! I’m so sad to hear that older kids were making the mess even worse, but I’m not terribly surprised either. It’s so frustrating! It’s up to all of us to keep our park clean and we were more than willing to do our part – a little surprised that the 2 dads who were there at the same as us didn’t offer to help, but as you said, not everyone respects public property. I know that you do way more than your fair share of upkeep on the park, thank you!

4. natividad
    July 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM (6 years ago)

Wow! so dirty, just left those trash after a celebration. Next year Canada day, people should be told or some post should be placed for their trash to be cleaned. It’s always the case after a celebration.
    natividad recently posted..DEBT REDUCING TIPS

5. Danica
    July 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM (6 years ago)

OMG, that’s terrible >:( I can’t believe you were the first to clean up.
    Total tragedy of the commons.

6. Kaisa G
    July 3, 2011 at 8:19 PM (6 years ago)

How sad. It’s a great thing to celebrate our awesome country, but it’s too bad those people couldn’t realize that cleaning up after themselves would have been a way to respect Canada and their own neighbourhood.
    Good for you guys for cleaning it up!! (although you should not have been the ones who had to do it.)