I would like to thank the Canadian government for allowing father’s to take parental leave! Because I have been a stay at home mom since our first daughter was born almost 2 years ago, I don’t qualify for maternity leave this time around – but my husband (more than) qualifies to take parental leave. After looking into it a bit, we’ve decided that he’s going to take it and Monday will be his first day home with me and the girls!
This does not mean that I’m going to go and get an outside-of-the-house job any time soon (Rowan is only 6 weeks old and I’m so grateful to be able to stay home with her instead of going back to work like some of my friends in the United States have had to do); rather, we get to spend the rest of the spring and the whole summer together as a family! Here are just a few of the things I’m looking forward to now that there will be an extra pair of hands at home:
- I can take a shower every morning that is longer than 2 minutes
- there will be someone to make me a coffee every morning (and I bet he’s thinking the same thing)
- I’ll have time to actually start AND finish a blog post in one sitting
- the basement will finally be finished and we’ll have another place to play and hang out, especially when it’s really hot outside
- My husband can (try to) wear our 2 year old out so that she naps again
- we can visit family (and their cottages) and not have to travel during the busy weekend traffic
- I can start exercising so that I’m not embarrassed to be in a bathing suit in a few weeks
- grocery shopping with only one child – or even all by myself!
- maybe, just maybe, I can get back into scrapbooking so that I can finish Ashlyn’s first year album before she’s a teenager…and start one for Rowan so she doesn’t feel left out.
I fully realize that the time is going to go fast and I’m sure I won’t get everything done that I’d like to, but a girl can still dream, right?