This recipe is from an old Alberta Agriculture Home Echonomics Branch book called “Zucchini, zucchini, zucchini…”. I’ve made a teeny change and added some carrots and flax seeds; my changes are in pink. This loaf freezes really well, so I baked it in 4 small loaves instead of one big one so I could put a couple in the freezer to enjoy when the new baby arrives. Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated, unpeeled zucchini (I used 1 cup zucchini and 1/2 cup grated carrots)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1/8 cup flax seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar; add eggs and mix well. Add zucchini (and carrots) and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and mix until smooth. Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Turn itno well greased 2 L loaf pan. Bake until skewer inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool in pan for 10 min; remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing.