I love weekend breakfasts, when we have more time to have something a little more fun than the usual cereal/bagel. One of our favourite things to make is waffles and mok honey (homemade syrup), thanks to the recipes from my good friend Joleen. It’s easy, delicious, and very impressive to guests when you tell them that you made the syrup yourself! Add some turkey bacon and a big mug of coffee and you’ve got the perfect Sunday morning.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk (or regular milk if you don’t have buttermilk)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 + 2 tbsp shortening
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Beat all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into waffle iron and cook until done.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Put all ingredients into a pot.
- Bring to a boil slowly and don’t stir too much (I find this really hard!).
- Serve over warm waffles immediately.