I think this used to be called a “wifesaver” back in the day. I originally got the recipe from Kraft Canada but it looks like they’ve changed it since I found it a few years ago. I’ve made a few modifications based on our favourite foods, but you can use whatever veggies and meat you want. It’s a tradition on Christmas morning in our household – I love it because I put it together the night before, then throw it in the oven in the morning and it bakes up while we open presents.
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 cup breakfast sausage, cooked and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese (we use whatever blend we have in the fridge)
- Combine the eggs, mayo and milk in a greased 8×8 baking dish.
- Add hash browns, sausage, onion and peppers; mix until well blended.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake at 400° for 35 to 40 minutes or until the centre is set.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then serve.
Merry Christmas from our home to yours!