Going East!

For a change, my husband is actually able to take some vacation time this summer!  We’re very excited to be planning a trip to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick to visit with his extended family.  Since we’ve been living across the country from our families for the past five years, we haven’t been able to make it East out to see his aunts, uncles, cousins and Gram; our vacations were always to Ontario to see our parents and brothers (and then our sister in law and niece!).  Now that we live within driving distance of our immediate families, we can use his vacation time for a trip out East.

This will be my first trip to the Maritimes and I am so looking forward to seafood and beaches and new sights!  I’m not looking forward to a 13+ hour drive with a 14 month old, but at least we’ve got plenty of room in the minivan for all of the stuff that we’ll need to keep her happy and occupied.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what we should absolutely not miss while we’re out there?  We’ll be in the Halifax area and between St John and Moncton and I’d love any and all suggestions!

8 Comments on Going East!

1. Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy
    July 12, 2010 at 7:33 PM (7 years ago)

I don’t have any suggestions other than snacks and stops to let the baby walk around some.

Have fun!

July 12, 2010 at 9:25 PM (7 years ago)

Oh, there will be breaks! I can’t go much more than 3 hours without needing to get out of the car already LOL

2. the food
    July 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM (7 years ago)

There is a little restaurant/pub called Henry House. I can’t remember what street it is on (it is downtown), but it is excellent! Has amazing fish and chips, and chowder! Mmm mmm mmm!
    the food recently posted..sometimes life just takes over

July 12, 2010 at 9:26 PM (7 years ago)

Mmmmm, that sounds great! I’m writing that one down :)

3. lmi
    July 12, 2010 at 9:06 PM (7 years ago)

This is our second year driving east with the kid – she’s 27 months now and was 14 months last year. We did Ottawa to St. John over 3 days last year (Ottawa to Quebec City, Quebec City to Fredericton, Fredericton to St. John for the ferry to Digby). Coming back, we did it over two (Digby-St. John ferry to Trois-Rivieres, then Trois-Rivieres to Ottawa). This year we left Ottawa at about 7 p.m. (bedtime) and drove overnight to be in St. John by 8 a.m. for the noon ferry. ANYWAY, I would make it as short as possible – the 2 days was much more manageable than 3, and overnight was fabulous (esp. if you’re driving straight to Halifax) although the first day would be beyond tiring.

Stuff not to miss – hmmm. I’d concentrate on Halifax, much more interesting and nicer than St. John and Moncton. Citadel Hill, Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, Pier 21 are all fun. Some nice little restaurants, too. There are also interesting shops in Halifax, and the South Shore is worth the drive if you’re looking for a day trip… Wow, this was long. Apologies!

July 12, 2010 at 9:27 PM (7 years ago)

Those are all great tips, thanks! We’ll mostly be in New Brunswick but I can’t wait to check out Halifax too. I have a feeling that we’ll be planning our return trip before we even leave!

4. Sherri
    July 14, 2010 at 7:31 AM (7 years ago)

Stacey, check out Fundy National Park and also Hopewell Rocks in NB. You might also like King’s Landing in NB (like a pioneer village thing, outside of Saint John). A couple of good restaurants in Saint John are Thandi’s (a mix of Indian & Thai) & Saint John Alehouse. Oh, and Vito’s, a great pizza place.