I have, love, and use constantly the cookbook “Eat, Shrink & Be Merry” by Janet and Great Podleski. I’ve made tons of recipes from it and they’ve all turned out so well. I’m not being paid to endorse them, although I’ve recommended this book to so many people I feel like I should be. Tonight’s meal is their Better Butter Chicken. It looks like a lot of ingredients but don’t be intimidated, you probably have a lot of them in your pantry. Great tonight, great for leftovers; my favourite kind of meal.
The Better Butter Chicken
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1.5 cups chopped onions
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp grated gingerroot
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 can (19 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat cut up
- 1/3 cup light (5%) cream
- 1/4 cup light sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked basmati rice (optional) (we also have it with naan bread instead of rice)
- Melt butter in a deep, 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add gingerroot, chili powder, turmeric, and cinnamon. Cook 1 more minute. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cut-up chicken, cream, and sour cream. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Serve over hot basmati rice, if desired.
Makes 5 servings
PER SERVING: 293 calories, 11.4 g total fat (5 g saturated fat), 33 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 2.9 g fiber, 105 mg cholesterol, 483 mg sodium