Tonight we’re having a staple recipe in our house: panzarotti. Basically, it’s a pocket of pizza dough filled with whatever you want. I use our bread maker to make the dough and it’s a fast, easy, always satisfying meal that makes enough for lunch the next day…until our daughter gets big enough to eat her own, then we’ll be out of luck!
I found the dough recipe at Recipezaar at it’s always turned out perfectly; I’ve left it with the instructions for making pizza, keep reading for how to make the panzarotti. I change up the herbs depending on what we feel like that night; sometimes it’s the Italian seasoning, sometimes something with more kick. Lately, I’ve been using the Smoky Ranch (which I believe was just a summer product) from Epicure Selections and it’s delish!
Herb & Parmesan Pizza Dough (for the Bread Maker) recipe:
- Place all ingredients in bread machine in the order listed.
- Select dough cycle on machine and press start.
- When dough is finished remove with floured hands and shape into size and thickness of desired pizza and place on greased cookie sheet or pizza tray.
- Top with favorite sauces and ingredients.
- (Baking time is generally 18-20 minutes at 400°F).
- 1 cup pepperoni
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- whatever else you want – we usually have diced peppers (red, green, whatever is in the fridge), onion; if you’d put it on a pizza, it can go in a panzarotti
- Mix together the filling ingredients
- Take the pizza dough and separate into 4 balls; roll each one out into a circle.
- Split the filling evenly between the 4 circles of dough and place it on one half of the dough.
- Fold the dough over and pinch it to seal the edges.
- Brush the top with a bit of olive oil (sometimes I forget and it doesn’t make a huge difference).
- Place on a pizza stone and bake at 400°F for about 20 minutes, until it’s golden.
- Heat up about half a jar of pizza/pasta sauce and pour it over the panzarottis once you’ve plated them.
That’s what’s for dinner at our house.